Wednesday, April 25, 2012

We Had Food for Dinner

Last night, for a split second, I almost apologized to Buck as I was serving dinner.  I made this really awesome soup on Monday night (because soup goes with snow like white on rice - yes, we had 2.5 inches of snow...) anyway...by Tuesday night, I wasn't feeling very creative in the cooking department, and so we had soup and grilled cheese...again.  For a split second, I felt a little guilty.  Shouldn't I be feeding my family some awesome dinner?  Don't they deserve variety? And then, it hit me like a brick wall.  We are having soup and grilled cheese for dinner. Food.  My third meal today.  My daughter's third meal today.  While not the most glamorous meal in the world, it is still food.  And it's on our table.  And we will not go to bed hungry tonight or wonder where our next meal will come from.  I can't say the same for my daughter's birth family and thousands of orphans in Ethiopia who are eating mush...or nothing... for dinner tonight.

Lesson learned: Dinner doesn't have to be a glamorous affair. Yes, in my family, food = love, especially when you're talking the awesome Italian food my Mom whips up for special occassions.  But for a Tuesday night, soup and grilled cheese will do, even if it is the 2nd night in a row.  For me, it is enough to know that my husband and daughter are eating dinner, their 3rd meal of the day.  Period. 

No, I didn't apologize.  And Buck told me that dinner was awesome. <3

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Great reminder, Natalie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids started school, so having a strong base in Melbourne has been a key priority. I’m not daunted by the travel. People say, ‘It’s so far to Australia,’ and I say, ‘You get on the plane, you eat well, you sleep, you wake up – and you’re there.
    Flights to Cape Town
    Cheap Flights to Cape Town
    Cheap Air Tickets to Cape Town

    ReplyDelete